Emergency Pediatric Dental Care in Ogden, Utah

Providing your kids with exceptional care no matter what pops up.

Little boy is having a toothache

Know where to go

Receive compassionate care

Get immediate help

What is Emergency Pediatric Dental Care?

It’s not surprising: one of the most frequently injured areas on kids is the mouth. That’s why we offer emergency pediatric dental care: if your child has experienced knocked out teeth, severe pain, or infections, we’re ready to help. The more quickly your child gets the help they need, the more quickly we can get them back to laughing and playing again.

At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we are prepared to provide emergency pediatric dental care no matter what the cause for kids in Ogden, UT and the surrounding area.

Accidents Happen!

If your child sustains an injury, you need immediate help—not an appointment for three weeks down the road. Our after-hours help line goes straight to a doctor who will help ensure your child gets help when they need it most. Not sure if it’s worth the time?

Call us if your child:

Is experiencing extreme sensitivity to temperature or pressure.

This is often a warning sign of infection and your child should be seen as soon as possible.

Has lost a tooth unexpectedly.

Dentists can often save permanent teeth that fall out, and can advise on what to do if a baby tooth is knocked out early.

Has pus in their mouth.

If you see pus or even red, puffy gums around your child’s teeth, your child may have an abscess, which must be treated quickly.

Is suffering from severe ear pain.

Although surprising, it’s not uncommon for ear pain to signal an infected tooth as facial nerves are incredibly close together.

Has severe mouth pain.

Many dental problems like infections are hard to spot and may require more than over the counter medication.
Little boy is showing a jaw injury

Don’t wait to take action

But when should you call Castle Creek and when should you head right to the emergency room?

Although it’s tempting to head right to the ER for traumatic injuries, most emergency rooms are actually not equipped to handle pediatric dental emergencies. Here’s a quick list for when you should head right to the ER and when you should call us at 801-782-3920 instead.

Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry Greetings

Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry

  • RA tooth that needs to be pulled
  • RKnocked out permanent tooth
  • RChipped/Fractured permanent tooth
  • RLost or cracked filling, crown, or veneer
Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry Greetings

Emergency Room

  • RCut or bitten tongue, lip or cheek
  • RSevere blow to the head
  • RPossible broken or fractured jaw
  • RExcessive bleeding from the mouth

What you can do for common pediatric dental issues

And when to call the dentists standing by at Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry!

Knocked Out Permanent Tooth

If your child has lost a permanent tooth:

  • Try your best to find the tooth. If you do, try to only touch the crown and handle as little as possible.
  • If absolutely necessary, rinse the tooth with water. (DO NOT clean with soap or scrub it.)
  • Look for fractures. If it is still whole, try to reset it into the socket.
  • Have your child bite on a clean gauze over the tooth to hold it in place.
  • If you cannot reinsert the tooth, bring the tooth immediately into our office in a cup containing your child’s saliva or milk. (Time is a critical factor in saving the tooth.)
Knocked Out Baby Tooth

If your child has lost a baby tooth:

  • Call our office at 801-782-3920. Unlike with a permanent tooth, the baby tooth should not be replanted due to possible damage to the developing permanent tooth.
  • In most cases, no treatment is necessary.
Chipped/Fractured Permanent Tooth

If your child has chipped a permanent tooth:

  • Call our office at 801-782-3920 immediately.Time is a critical factor to reduce the chance for infection or the need for extensive dental treatment in the future.
  • Rinse the mouth with water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.
  • If you can find the broken tooth piece, bring it with you to our office.
Chipped/Fractured Baby Tooth:

If your child has chipped a baby tooth:
Call our office at 801-782-3920.
Some simple smoothing may help, but in most cases, no treatment is necessary.


If your child is experiencing a toothache, take these steps:

  • Clean the area of the sore tooth.
  • Rinse the mouth thoroughly with warm water and clean with dental floss.
  • Do not place aspirin or heat on the gum or on the aching tooth.
  • If the face is swollen, apply cold compresses and call us immediately.
  • If the pain doesn’t go away, give us a call at 801-782-3920.
Cut or Bitten Tongue, Lip or Cheek

If your child has a cut in or on the mouth:

  • Control swelling by applying ice.
  • Control bleeding by applying firm but gentle pressure with a gauze or cloth.
  • If pressure does not stop the bleeding, call your doctor.
Severe Blow to the Head

If your child has received a severe blow:

  • Call 911 immediately or take your child to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Possible Broken or Fractured Jaw

If you think your child has injured his or her jaw:
Keep the jaw from moving and take your child to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Girl is having a toothache

Did you know that Dr. Simkins has hospital privileges at both Primary Children’s and McKay Dee Hospital? If your child needs dental care while at the hospital, he can help!

Girl at the the dentist

Our pediatric dentists at Castle Creek are ready to help

Don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!